Thursday, November 11, 2010

Today, we salute you...

I substituted today and just like every other day I arrive at school at 7:50. But today- something was different... there were a lot of children walking to school and the parking lot was nearly full. Strange! So, I parked and walked into school and then soon realized that is was Donuts with Dad's Day! It was sweet to see the kids eating donuts with their dad's and grinning ear to ear. Then later in the day I couldn't help but think- "Darn those donuts and all that sugar that has the kids all hyped up! Bahhhh!"

But the more important thing... HAPPY VETERAN'S DAY! A very heartfelt THANK YOU to all the men and women who have served or are currently serving to protect our Country and freedom. This morning at school we had an assembly outside and all of the students and teachers gathered around the flag pole. There were also Veteran's who were related to the students there. The sun was shining and it couldn't have been nicer out.

The Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts lead the entire school in The Pledge of Allegiance. One of the students father spoke a little about the history of Veteran's Day. There were a lot of thank you's said and rounds of applause given to all of the Veteran's for acknowledge them for their service to our Country. The second grade students sang "The Star Spangled Banner" and my eyes started to well up. I just can not help it... I am a sap. A huge, stinkin' softie! The immediate pride that I felt for my Country was overwhelming.

I have always considered myself to be a pretty patriotic person (I usually get goose bumps during any song about America and more than 50% of the time shed a tear or two- really.) But to see young children, who really have no idea what is happening in Iraq and Afghanistan or the impact of any of the other wars our armed forces have been involved in, belting out The Star Spangled Banner with the biggest smiles on their faces simply, melted... my... heart. Which then sparked my next thought of how many of the young children in American have mom's or dad's who are serving overseas or stationed somewhere else in the Country and away from them. It truly is such a honorable sacrifice and commitment. Now, don't get me wrong I've always know that... but something about today and seeing those smiling singing faces just sparked something in my heart.

So with all of this said- THANK YOU, TO THOSE CURRENTLY SERVING... MILITARY VETERAN'S... YOUR FAMILIES ...

No comments:

Post a Comment