Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Alex P. Keaton, Teen Wolf, Marty McFly...

... all characters who were played by Michael J. Fox. 

Last night I had the privilege to hear him speak to a sold out crowd of 3,500 people at my college alma-mater, The University of Akron. And- let me tell you... it was engaging, humorous, heartfelt and defiantly inspiring. 


When I was in college I was in a sorority, Delta Gamma. Along with The Office of the President of the University, Delta Gamma was honored to sponsor this evening which we refer to as, A Lectureship series on Values and EthicsLast year, Colin Powell was the lectureship speaker and two years before that Queen Noor of Jordan was the honored guest. Being a DG has many perks and Lectureship is one of them! Knowing that I am part of an organization that is so committed to instilling quality characteristics in collegians and inspiring so many to DO GOOD in their lives is a wonderful feeling. 

Ok so... now that I've rambled about that. Let me get back to last night...

I wasn't too sure what to expect from it all. How long would he speak? Would he talk about his acting career? Discuss his Foundation? Would I cry? Would I laugh? Would he answer questions? Discuss his book? Would he sit or stand while he was speaking? 

As you know, Michael J. Fox was diagnosed with Early Onset Parkinson's Disease about 19 years ago. He shared with us last night that when he was first given the diagnosis the doctors told him that he had about 10 good years left to work. He has surpassed that expectation, at this point, by almost 10 years. He isn't flying around with Doc Brown in a Delorean anymore but he is still acting here and there and most importantly working hard to help those with Parkinson's and find quality treatments and a cure. 

He shared childhood memories, the highs and lows of Hollywood, how he came to peace with having Parkinson's and charming stories of his wife and children. He made it clear that you have to life your life one step at a time and anything that you put your mine to, you can accomplish. He spoke to the large crowd as if he was sitting at Starbucks talking to a group of 4 or 5. It was one of those, "I'm so glad that I go the chance to do this" nights for me.

While he was speaking he said something that clicked with me and so I wrote it down in my program so I would remember it correctly to share with you: 

"Answers aren't going to fall from the sky. We need to get ladders to go up and get them."

I am grateful for the opportunity to be inspired... so, to Michael J. Fox- THANK YOU!  And for everyone else... go get your ladders and make something happen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment