Thursday, November 18, 2010

"Miiissssss Jammmmiiiieeeee!!!!!"

Before I started substitute teaching this school year, I worked the a year and a half at a popular educare (education/childcare) school. The children's ages at this school range from lil' babies, 6 weeks old, to kindergardeners. I taught preschool and pre-kindergarden while I worked there. The first school year after college graduation I started substitute teaching then when summer (full time unemployment...ughhhbuhhh) came rolling around I started working at above mentioned educare school.

I love working with kids and even know this was not the "full time teacher job" I was looking for... a part of me fell in love with that place. The school...the kids...the staff. The worst part about my job was that it was a pretty far drive and my hours were totally awe-fulll! But hindsight.... those things didn't matter, really. 

Tonight- I was reminded of all the wonderful parts of that job. I went back to my educare school for their "Thanksgiving Pot-Luck Feast" and it was like I never left. It felt good to be greeted with big smiles , "Miss Jammmiiieeee!" coming from all directions and huge hugs. One lil girl, who I adore, ran up to me and as I knelt down to hug her she just pressed her cheek to mine and kept saying, "I miss you, I really, really miss you". I think at that point my heart skipped a beat. I know that to many this seems very exaggerated and over-the-top... but it's true. Children make my heart melt! That is how I know that I am in the field that I'm supposed to be in. Granted- jobs are hard to come by and the money isn't the best... but frankly- I do not care. I know that my heart is in the right place and that in time my "full time dream job"will come.

It seems like it doesn't matter how long the time goes by I always feel good being back at that school. It's familiar and comfortable for me and I think anyone in education can tell you, our job is emotional. So to go back to a place where you feel good

I sat down to eat our "Thanksgiving meal" with a girl I used to work with and I can not even explain how much I enjoyed talking to her. Just shooting the breeze about life in general. During the time I worked there I think I might have taken for granted my co-workers and not embraced the friendships that were right there, every Monday- Friday.  I think it's easy for many of us to automatically put a label on co-workers, I know that I did.  It's also comforting to know that even know I don't work there anymore I still have people there who care about me and support me. I also got invited to the Holiday Party... I mean come on, they really love me there! (haha!) Which is good because, I love them back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment