Saturday, February 12, 2011

My husband hacked my Swiffer.

My husband reads a lot of "bloggy type websites" and every once in a while he will send me articles that he think I'd find interesting. This article might be one of the top 3 that he has ever sent my way. The website this article came from is called Lifehacker and I would have to say that this one of his favorites to read.  Last month he found an article about the Swiffers Wet Jet. He shared it with me and now I want to share with you all. It's great!

I love my Swiffer and use it a lot! It's so convenient. Just take it out of the closet, spray and mop...badda bing- clean floors! This morning I was in cleaning mode. I had already swept and vacuumed and now it was Swiffer time! I got it out of the closet and then realized that I didn't have any cleaning solution in the Swiffer bottle and I didn't have another one to switch 'em out.

Then I remembered the article, Refill Your Swiffer Wet Jet; No Special Tools Required, that Greg had sent to me about how to "unlock" the Swiffer bottles to fill it with your own cleaning solution. You probably already know this but, the Swiffer cleaning solution bottles have the caps locked on so that you have to keep buying the refills made specifically for the Swiffer when it runs out. These refill bottles can range in cost from $5.00 to $8.00 (for the larger size refill). The steps in the article are easy to follow and it takes about 5 min to do.

I highly recommend reading it and then immediately following the steps to "unlock" your Swiffer.  Not only will it save you money but it also gives you the option to clean with products that you like. I know some people who prefer to clean with "green" cleaning solutions and this gives you that option while still  being able to take advantage of the convenience of the Swiffer Wet Jet.

If you are looking for another way to save a little cash when it comes to cleaning there are also sites out there with tutorials about how to make your own reusable Swiffer cleaning pads. I found a good one at Craft Gossip. In this article, Reusable Swiffer Wet Jet Pad, they tell you how to make your own cleaning pads from towels. It seems pretty simple and doesn't look like it will take much time. But, it defiantly will save you money... refill boxes of the cleaning pads range from $8.00 to $15.00, depending on the amount that you buy.


I'm crunching the numbers on what I'm going to be saving by using these lil' tips and I think I just might buy myself something with that extra cash. I'll consider it payment for the cleaning... I'm sure Greg will understand. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for dropping by my blog and your sweet comment! Great tip for the Swiffer - I gave mine away for the above reasons (especially the chemicals) and now want it back!!! Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lifechanging...wowsers girl...

    I once tried this and just ended up getting cleaning solution everywhere...your husband is brilliant :)

    ReplyDelete