Tuesday, February 8, 2011

In My Kitchen: Chicken Stuffed Zucchini

Zucchini is one of my favorite vegetables. I love to eat it cooked, raw, chopped then mixed into things like pasta and salads. Today for dinner I tried making something that I've never made before and it was pretty easy to do. A lot of little steps but still easy. In my kitchen today is, chicken stuffed zucchini.

Here are the ingredients that I used to make this yummy dinner: 

- 2 good sizes zucchini's
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped 
- 1/2 cup chopped sno-white mushrooms
- 1/2 pound of chicken, cubed
- 1/2 tablespoon of butter or margarine 
- 1/8 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/8 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- a little drizzle of olive oil 
- spices I used: italian seasoning, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes (I just give a few shakes here and there, no exact measurements) 
  • First, toss the chopped chicken into a skillet with a little drizzle of olive oil. Add a few shakes of salt and pepper to the chicken for a lil' flavor. 
  • Once the chicken is cookin'... fill a large pot with water, add a pinch of salt so it can heat up and be boiling & ready when you need it. 
  • After the chicken cooked through add the chopped mushroom, red bell pepper, a few shakes of italian seasoning and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Cook it all together on a medium low heat and until the peppers are tender. 
  • Once the peppers are tender turn the heat to low and add the chopped garlic. The later in the cooking process you add the garlic the more flavor you get. At this point start pre-heat the oven to 350* so it will be all ready to bake the zucchini's later. 
  • Remember the water you started boiling a few minutes ago? Well, now is when you'll need it. Put the zucchini's into the boiling water for 5 minutes. Take it out, set it on a plate and let it cool. After it has become cool to the touch cut them in half length wise. They should only take a few minutes to cool down. 
  • Now, take that 1/2 tablespoon of butter or margarine and spread it around the bottom of a glass casserole dish. Then stick it into the oven so the butter can melt around in the dish. This will help so that the zucchini will not burn or stick when they are baking. 
  • After the zucchini has cooled and it has been cut you will need a teaspoon to "gut" them so that they can be filled with the chicken stuffing mix. 


  • Going back to the chicken stuffing mix... it's time to add the cheese. 
  • Mix it all up. Finally, stuffing- complete!  
  • Take the casserole dish out of the oven now that the butter/margarine has melted. Take the "gutted" zucchini and put them into the dish. Now it is time to start stuffing! 
  •  Either use a spoon to scoop and fill up the zucchini or use your hands to smoosh it all in. I found it to be easier to fill each zucchini with more of the stuffing when I used my hands. 

  • Slide the dish into the oven that is now at a toasty 350* and bake for about 10-12 minutes. Just long enough for the cheese to melt together and to merry all of the flavors together.
  • You can serve this with anything as a side. Tonight for dinner we had this with pasta tossed in a little bit of rosa sauce. Any of the extra chicken stuffing mix that fell out in transportation from the casserole dish to the plate... I just piled onto the pasta...
and... WAAAALAAAA! 



I didn't invent this dish but I am happy to say that I didn't use a recipe to make it. I just thought of the food that I wanted to have and put things together that I know work well together. Man, ohhh man was this DELISH! Gregorian is not a big fan of veggies, especially zucchini and I've never seen him eat so fast. He said and I quote, "It was so good! Like expensive restaurant good."

I know that my cooking recap is a little scattered and jumbled but I write how I think. I'm a multi-tasker and try to get more than one thing done at a time, especially with cooking. I cut down the time I spend in the kitchen by having different things going at the same time. It helps me to get dinner done so when Gregorian gets home dinner is ready and we can eat! 

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment