Monday, December 6, 2010

In My Kitchen: Turkey Day Leftovers

You might not have any turkey from Thanksgiving left over, but I still do! I made this Turkey Pot-Pie for dinner last week, it is very easy and you probably have all of the ingredients in your fridge from Turkey Day!

This is what you will need to make this Turkey Pot-Pie:
- Turkey, pulled/cut into small bite size pieces
- Veggies (cooked ones work best- but you can use frozen)
- Left over gravy 
- Shredded Cheese (optional)
- One egg 
- A tube of crescent rolls 

In the pictures there are 3 casseroles. One for dinner that night. Another small one for my husband to take to work for lunch the next day and finally one to freeze for dinner a few weeks later. Before I being putting the pot pie together I preheat my oven to 325* so that my oven is all warmed up and ready by the time my pot pie is assembled.
  • First, I took my turkey and cut in into small pieces and put it at the bottom of the casserole dishes. I only used white meat because that is what I prefer.
  • Then, I took my left over veggies and cut them into small pieces, mixed them all up and put a good amount into each of the dishes. The veggies that I used were: green beans, potatoes, carrots, corn, asparagus, broccoli, zucchini and onions. The potatoes I used were already soft from being boiled. I just didn't mash them up on Thanksgiving.  Your potatoes have to be cooked already because they will not get soft enough in the time this dish is in the oven.
*This dish is a great way to sneak veggies in that your family doesn't normally eat. Like my husband isn't a big veggie eater... but he ate this with no questions asked!*
  • Next,  I poured the turkey gravy over the veggies and turkey. The gravy that we had was a little on the thin side to be used in leftover dish. So, to thicken it up I whisked in some butter and flour on medium heat and then I let it sit for about 5 minutes on simmer to thicken up. You can also add some pepper and other  herbs and spices to the gravy to boost the taste a little bit. I have a spices grinder, similar to the McCormick Grinders, that is called "Country Herbs" so that is what I used for my flavor boost. After pouring the gravy into the casseroles give the pot pie fillings a good mix so that the gravy gets moved around and so the flavors all cook together nicely.
  • This step is optional... but, I love cheese and for me shredded cheddar is the perfect pairing for this dish. I take cheese and just sprinkle it on top of the mixed filling ingredients.
  • Now, we are ready for the crust! Pop open the crescent rolls and lay it out flat. After the dough is laid out you gently pinch the seams together where the rolls have been cut. The seams are pinched together simply cut the amount of dough needed to cover your casserole and lay it on top... tuck and pinch extra dough so that none of the filling is peeking out.
  • After you have put the dough on top of the filling & cheese you will want to give your crescent roll crust an egg wash for a little extra crisp. I use one large egg and separate the white from the yolk. I then add a little bit of the "Country Herb" grinder herbs and spices to my egg wash along with about 1/4 teaspoon of minced garlic. Then I whisk it all together and using a silicon kitchen brush gently brush on the egg wash mixture.

*Notice I only put crescent roll and the egg wash on 2 of my 3 prepared casseroles. As I mentioned earlier,  I was putting together one dish to freeze and use for dinner another night. If you are freezing this dish only freeze the turkey, veggies and cheese. The crescent roll does not freeze and re-cook very well at all, trust me I've tried. So, I just put a lid on my pyrex glassware casserole dish and stuck it in the freezer. Then in a few weeks I'll just pull of the freezer, it out thaw it, top it with the crescent roll and egg wash and wha-laa... dinner! *
  • Finally, stick the casseroles into the oven for about 20-25 minutes (or until crescent top is golden brown) at 325* and you now have a yummy Turkey Day leftover meal!


ENJOY! 

No comments:

Post a Comment